Wednesday 9 July 2014

The Cyclist's Creed 

My Surly Long Haul Trucker in Lancashire

This is my bicycle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My bicycle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My bicycle, without me, is useless. Without my bicycle, I am useless. I must ride my bicycle true. I must ride further than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must outrun him before he catches me. I will...
My bicycle and I know that what counts in life is not the ladders we climb, the noise of our pride, nor the money we make. We know that it is the miles that count. We will ride...
My bicycle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its wheels and its gears. I will keep my bicycle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
Before God, I swear this creed. My bicycle and I are the defenders of my happiness. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is ours and there is no enemy, but peace!


Adapted, by a simple minded cyclist, from 'The Rifleman's Creed' by Major General William H Rupertus - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifleman%27s_Creed

If you like my blog, please leave a comment here and visit my fundraising page 


http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/fundraiser/madnewtrides/london-to-istanbul-cycle-ride



No comments:

Post a Comment